Wednesday, March 16, 2011

UNEXPECTED EXPEDITION

How to reconcile homosexuality and Christianity?? That was the burning question for me...for many years. While I was so much more at peace regarding my sexual orientation, that question continued to loom. I was getting to know God better; truly feeling His love in a way that I'd never experienced before. I was praying and studying everyday and really believing God for...something.

God had spoken to me. He said BE STILL. I didn't really know what that meant and it was frustrating at times. But one thing I did believe is that He wanted my attention. That meant I didn't need to be out searching for a mate...much to the bewilderment of some of my friends. I was back and looking pretty good with my newly-shaved dome, and they thought I should have been out there "getting mine". It was hard to explain. But I knew what God had spoken to me and I know me. I'm not the best multi-tasker. When I would meet someone that I liked, they got most of my attention. I believe that's true for most people. So, in order for me to truly seek God and get some clarity about what was going on in my life, I had to truly BE STILL.

During the stillness hours, that burning question just kept blaring! It was LOUD!! So, I went to the Internet and did a search on homosexuality and Christianity. I was led to a site and an article that was the springboard for this blog...over two years later, but I'm here. The name of the article was "Some Simple Facts About the Bible and Homosexuality". I was entranced from the first paragraph. The author, Rev. Bruce W. Lowe, broke it down! It was simple and to the point. I encourage you to check it out. http://www.christiangays.com/articles/lowe2.shtml

I had tried reconciling the two about 6 or 7 years prior, but I got nothing. It wasn't that the information was not out there, I just wasn't ready to receive back then. Also, I believe that I needed to know better God's love for me. So, it was no accident that I'd read The God's Honest Truth prior to my exploration into this subject.

Rev. Lowe's article expounded on the 6 scriptures that address homosexuality. These passages are typically referred to as "clobber passages." They have been used over the years by anti-gay Christians to condemn homosexuality without considering the entire context. Sadly, many Christians have gone the pick and choose route in using scriptures to justify their position or oppose someone else's on a wide range of subjects throughout the ages. From marriage to divorce. From women ministers to speaking in tongues. From slavery to homosexuality.

This article was the first of many readings for me over the period of about a year and a half. And I believe it was the one I was supposed to read first. Why? Because Rev. Bruce W. Lowe is STRAIGHT! Yes, STRAIGHT! You may ask why that was so significant for me. Well, for someone like me who had journeyed the roads from straight to gay to straight to gay, I needed to hear someone that didn't have what I'll call a stake in the game. I had already heard from the gay activists, the gay ministers, my friends, etc. Hearing from someone who was not gay, didn't have any gay children, or no gay agenda was just what I needed to start...or restart...my journey. I liken it to the white man or woman who marched alongside African Americans during the Civil Rights era. Everyone expects to see black people marching for their own cause. But to see someone whose skin color mirrored that of the long-time oppressor spoke volumes. It helped the oppressed to see that they were not alone and it gave many other compassionate whites the courage to stand up; if not on the outside, it stirred something on the inside.

After reading Rev. Lowe's article, I emailed him to thank him for blessing me and he promptly responded. I discovered that he was 93 years old and had a heart of gold. He had many encouraging words for me and he recommended some other reading that I'll share with you later. What a great start to an unexpected expedition!

Wherever you are on your journey, know how much God loves you. You ARE fearfully and wonderfully made by The Father. Psalm 139:14

Until next time, let the love of God liberate you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment